Friday, February 4, 2011

A Marine trades his weapon for a camera, and learns about himself



I was a sergeant in the United States Marine Corps. I could field strip an M-16 blindfolded and engage a target from 500 hundred yards. I was proudly standing up for what I knew was right, but it wasn't my calling.

Like most creatives, the path to my current place in life has been circuitous. After four years of working side-by-side with some of the bravest people I've come to know, I put down my weapon, picked up a camera, and never looked back.

Photography has since taken me around the world; Over mountaintops, across plains, and into the lives of countless beautiful people. I have seen triumph and tragedy through my lens. And gained incredible wisdom along the way.

I served my country because I chose to. I make pictures because I can’t not.

For a look at the sketchbook that is my journey so far please visit carlcostas.com and my facebook page

No comments: